Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Birthdays and Old Friends


Today is my son Mark's birthday and he's 33 which is so hard to believe. Where have all those years gone I have to wonder. But then wondering, I realise how much I have packed into those 33 years and how I have changed and grown --- and of course hopes that I have years ahead of more growth and change. On balance I should have as I am only 52.
I married Mark's dad in 1973 at the grand age of 18 and Mark was born 19 months later and I have to say I was so very happy. I used to have to pinch myself as I couldn't believe I was part of a family. Every morning I would leap out of bed, full of the joys of what a new day would bring- and the delight of watching my son flourish. He was such a happy baby and a pram stopper. We lived a 5 minute walk from town so I would take him in his pram shopping and people would stop and comment on his beautiful smile and happy disposition.
At 16 I had been thrown out by my dad's second wife. We lived in Morecambe in Lancashire at this time as they had moved there to start a new life after their wedding in 1965. I left with 2 carrier bags - the sum total of all I possessed and walked to my friend's house about 2 miles away. Helen's mum was a great woman and made room for me in her home, where I stayed for a few months before returning to Barnsley where I had been born. My Aunty Sally wrote to Helen's mum to thank her . My Aunty Sally was an amazing woman - I will tell you more about her another time.
Helen eventually emigrated to Canada and we met up a few years ago when she flew home when her mum was dying. Sadly, by the time she arrived in the UK her mum had already gone so it was quite a reunion given the circumstances. However, real love and friendship knows no barriers and 30 years on our friendship was no different. On the Saturday night we went out for a slap up meal along with Roz. We had been like the 3 musketeers and picked up as if there had never been any gap in our friendships. Naturally we never shut up as we filled each other in on what we had been up to in the intervening years. That night Helen and I shared a room again and we talked long into the night. The next morning we awoke at the same time and I propped myself up in bed and looked across the room at her and we both just burst out laughing. I am smiling at the memories as I write this.
A few months ago Helen got in touch as she had found my Reiki website and asked how I got into it all. I never got back to her because I thought it was too big a story and didn't know where to begin. I think I finally know how to share that story so I must email her tonight and let her know.
So to today's quote...
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you started a blog Chris - I really look forward to reading your interesting and inspirational entries.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerrie I am so glad that you are enjoying it your kind comments encourage me to add more
    x

    ReplyDelete